Everyone struggling to choose the right exterior paint colors for your home; that is why you are here. Whether your home is new or you’re just thinking to freshen up its look, choosing the right exterior paint colors for your home may feel slightly overwhelming. After all, committing to a color that will define your home’s curb appeal is a serious step.
But there are several ways to incorporate many complementary colors to create a truly unique home exterior. So we are here to help and walk you through each step of choosing the right paint color combination for the exterior of your home. We are going to make it easy for you, promise!
Usually, we concentrate more on our interior designs. We want it to symbolize our individuality, but we rarely realize that the exterior gives the viewer the first impression of our personality. To help minimize your stress, I’ve written this article for you to provide you with some valuable tips that will help make your decision a little easier.
Of course, you want your home to have beautiful curb appeal, and you don’t want to make any color mistakes. However, if you read this article before choosing the right paint color for your home exterior, it is a promise you will avoid the common mistakes and make marvelous color decisions that will be beautiful! So stick with me on this!
Table of Contents
Guide to Choose Exterior Paint Colors For Your House
Choosing exterior paint colors is very difficult task like you have to make certain wise decisions while choosing colors for your home exterior. That’s why you always need painting contractors for you exterior house painting needs.
Here we give you some guide that how you choose the best exterior paint colors
1. Create a Theme
Having a clear idea of what you want on your exterior wall is always helpful. The perfect way to choose paint colors for your home is to start with your favorite colors. Your place communicates through colors, so find the perfect match of colors for your building.
Working around your exterior with a fixed theme in your mind will bring some unique exterior paint color ideas. It will also make your entire house look like one, rather than an exterior wonder or a one-room wonder.
The exterior is the first thing people notice when they arrive at your place. Because of this, the colors of your exterior paint should be attractive. Bright colors surely enhance the overall attractiveness of your home.
Colors that stand out from a distance are popular for exterior paint, and bright colors are always fantastic for exterior paint.
2. Choose Your Shade of Paint Colors
The next thing you will need to do after creating a theme is to choose the shade of the color. When say “shade,” it means selecting whether you want a light, mid-tone,, or dark color on the exterior of your home? At this point, you don’t have to consider anything else except to decide if you want a light, a mid-tone or medium shade, or a dark color.
Choosing a shade is an instant. You can easily decide and immediately know which shade you want for your exterior home. However, if you decide to select a color for your house interior, this article, 4 Things To Do When Selecting Color For Your House Interior, will little help make that decision.
3. Consider Painting Season
If you hire a pro team to paint the exterior of your house in some particular seasons, it gets a longer life span. The exterior wall paints require a minimum temperature regardless of the quality, type, and color. Therefore, exterior paints are best painted during the Spring season as there will be suitable temperature for the paint to dry correctly.
Here is article on “8 Reasons Why Spring is the Best Time to Paint Your Home Exterior“. Give it a detailed look to learn more about the best painting season.
Moreover, painting your house’s exterior during the winter and rainy season will regularly make you redo the painting.
4. Consider Your Roof Color
The number one paint question WC Painting Services has received over the years is choosing exterior paint colors because it’s one of the most challenging paint decisions you can make for your home.
Before going further in your color decision-making, let’s consider the color of your roof.
- If your shingles have red, green, tan, or blue-gray undertones, you must keep that in mind when selecting an exterior paint color palette.
- If your home’s roof is black or neutral gray, don’t worry as much about color clashing.
- If your roof is dark brown with slight red undertones, colors like shades of green or blues wouldn’t work for you and might clash.
- If the color of your roof is dark brown with shingles and a red undertone, you must stick with a true neutral primary body color for your home to play it safe.
- You have a little more leeway if you have shingles with green or blue-gray undertones. You can avoid color clashing if you choose a neutral color or have a slight hint of your shingle color to blend and compliment and not fight.
- If the color of your roof is Black, you can pretty much do anything.
- If your home is not entirely brick/stone and is either half stone/brick or has brick/stone accents, you have a lot more color choices for the exterior body color of your home. However, you shouldn’t have any crashing issues if your body color slightly hints at the brick/stone undertone color.
- If the brick of your roof has a warm undertone and you want to go gray on your home body-color, choosing a light warm gray instead of a cool gray would be a great choice. Because in that way, the warmth in the gray is what will tie/blend the new body color to the brick. Make sense?
5. Find Exterior Color Inspiration
As you create a theme, narrow your color shade down, factor in roof color, and know that you’ll need to go warmer because of the abundance of exterior light; next, decide on an actual color for the exterior body of your home. It helps to look for similar home styles to feel the possibilities.
Choosing the right color is important as it increases the value and beauty of your home. When you start with your favorite colors, you don’t bound yourself by traditional color schemes for a specific style. If you choose your favorite color as the base color, you can create a color scheme around it. It might be the perfect inspiration for your new color palette.
The best exterior paint color idea is to avoid dark colors. Dark colors absorb dust and make you repaint your exterior wall paint frequently. However, it would be great to use a pale shade of the dark color and mix them with another light color. Dark colors give a sense of dignity to the house. You can also use them to highlight your house’s main features.
6. Exterior Furnishing
Exterior paint colors also need to be enhanced with some furnishing like interiors. The exterior walls of your home are more fascinating when it is decorated with some furnishings other than the door. Your furniture must preferably match the color theme of the exterior wall paint colors. It would be a nice touch to enhance the beauty of your home.
Once you have decided on the main exterior body paint color, you’re ready to move on and choose your exterior trim and accent colors. But, first, let me tell you, when it comes to choosing trim and accent colors, less is more!
WC Painting Services work with clients who have much architectural detail on the exterior of their home (shake, shutters, lots of changes in roof angles) who want to paint every detail a different shade because they think it will accentuate the architectural details.
However, extra contrast and change of color or shades have the opposite effect; the eye stops at each color, and the architectural details no longer stand out.
- If you want to paint your home’s exterior a light color like white, painting trim/shutters/doors with a contrasting darker color would be a great choice.
- If you want a mid-toned body color, I will base my recommendation for trim color based on the home’s design.
- If your home is modern, I will usually recommend a darker trim.
- If you want the body of the home darker, I will recommend contrasting it with white everywhere else to balance and make sure the house doesn’t look too dark.
- If your home is more traditional, contrast a mid-toned body color with white.
8. Combination of Colors
When it comes to painting your exterior house, stick to one or a maximum of two exterior home painting colors, as more colors on the exterior appear cluttered. If you feel that using a single color will make your house a monotonous sight, then using different shades of the same color is the best approach. These combinations will also give an excellent appeal to your home.
For exterior painting color ideas we prefer the best paint brands but Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore exterior paint colors are mostly used worldwide to give best results.
9. Effect of nature
Color and finish that harmonizes with the surrounding environment can make a good impression on visitors. People who live in hilly or coastal areas should spend more time choosing the color of their exterior wall paint. Exterior wall colors should complement the atmosphere and climate of their environment.
For Example, Painting a house in a mountainous area is ideal for using cool colors like blues and greens. Because of the climate and the surrounding, it is a good fit for the house.
Tips to Choose Exterior Paint Colors for Your Home
When deciding on How to Choose Exterior Paint Colors for Your Home, make sure you consider the long-term impacts of your final decision.
Here are some concise Tips:
- It doesn’t matter if you haven’t started your interior design yet; you should consider how your house’s exterior color will reflect on the interior. It doesn’t have to be exact when it comes to creating harmony in your home, but slight hints of color or texture can help.
- To get an idea of the color palettes in your neighborhood, look about. It’s a good idea to pick an exterior paint color that goes well with the architecture of the neighboring houses.
- Coordinate with the existing materials. If you have a house with a brick or stone façade, choose paint colors that complement the natural textures and shades.
- Contrasting colors can enhance the attraction and grace of your home. Choosing paint schemes that provide variations in colors will highlight your home’s architectural features.
- You can test the paint colors on the house to get a better result. You’ll have more confidence in your decision if you paint boards with the colors you’re considering and move them around the exterior to observe how they look at different times of day and in different lighting conditions.
Create Your Ideal Curb Appeal with Professional Painting Services
Choosing an exterior wall paint color for the Worcester climate is not an easy job as there are a lot of factors depending on it. So here I’ve some tips on How to Choose Exterior Paint Colors for Your Home.
Choosing the right paint colors for your home is a common but important question. But, it so is choosing the right professional to do the job. Contact your local professionals at WC Painting Services when it’s time to paint your home or refresh kitchen cabinets. If you need help with how much it costs to paint a house, you can find my tips here.
Our team has the experience, knowledge, and expertise to get the job done right. Our trusted team provides overall painting services that can help transform your home, enhance its curb appeal and give your home the high-quality paint job it deserves.
Contact WC Painting Services for Exterior Painting Needs of Your House! Get amazing painting solutions.
If you have any questions, please leave your questions in the comments so we can answer your queries.
To learn more, call us at (508-657-4104) or request a Free Estimate. Thanks for stopping by today! Cheers!